The Eat Local Challenge
is a 30-day advocacy campaign where New Orleanians are challenged to only eat foods grown, caught, or raised within a 200-mile radius. The goal of the challenge is to raise the awareness of the nutritional, economic, environmental, and cultural benefits of eating locally sourced foods.
As part of the campaign, Eat Local NOLA
(challenge host) and StayLocal are hosting a Restaurant Challenge
that encourages New Orleanians to dine at restaurants that support local food systems. Restaurants are invited to prepare one dish made of local ingredients for Eat Local Challenge participants so they can dine out while staying true to the challenge. The participant who dines at the most participating restaurants during the month of June wins a New Orleans Staycation!
1. Cost of participation is $75 (payment options are included below).
2. Maintain menu with at least one locally sourced dish for the 30 days of the Challenge. Dish can be changed as needed just notify Eat Local NOLA so we can update our website and app. Dish does not need to have all of its ingredients locally sourced, but the more the better.
3. Familiarize staff with details of the local dish’s sourcing (i.e. farm, location) and the benefits of sourcing food locally: environmental, economic, nutritional, and cultural.
Eat Local NOLA provides:
1. Media attention from the Eat Local Challenge for the participating restaurants. Last year the Challenge was featured twice in the Times-Picayune
and twice in Gambit Weekly,
including a cover story.
2. A listing for your business on the Eat Local Challenge website that includes business name, website, and details about your signature local dish. Last year the Challenge website received 36,722 hits from May 15- July 15 with 4,596 unique visitors.
3. Inclusion of your restaurant’s logo and website on our mobile app.
4. Promotion of your restaurant to the over 1000 people participating in the 2017 Eat Local Challenge.
5. A card to be placed in your business recognizing your participation in Challenge.
6. Active social media marketing through all the Eat Local Challenge and StayLocal’s media channels (over 17,000 followers combined).
7. Opportunity to host a special “locavore” event by (or at) the restaurant.
8. Opportunity to post recipes on the Challenge blog.
Checks made payable to Eat Local NOLA can be mailed to 1618 Oretha C. Haley Blvd, New Orleans, LA 70113. Payment can also be made online at nolalocavore.org/restaurant-registration
DEADLINE to sign up: May 1, 2017